Cosmetic Dental Recontouring is a reshaping procedure for chipped, cracked, or slightly irregularly shaped teeth. Dental contouring and reshaping can be used to grind away and smooth minor chips or wear in teeth. Dental contouring can also remove and smooth imperfections, pits, and ridges in the teeth where dental plaque and tartar quickly build up.
Dental recontouring is helpful for small chips but cannot take the place of bonding or veneers, and it is not recommended for teeth that have deep chips, fractures, or large fillings.
Some imperfections, which cannot be removed by contouring alone, may require cosmetic dental bonding.
Dental Cosmetic Recontouring is typically performed without local anesthetic.
Cosmetic Dental Recontouring Procedure Time Frame
- Time to complete: Dental contouring takes about 15 to 30 minutes per tooth.
- Procedure: The tooth or teeth are cleaned and dried. A dental sanding instrument is artfully used to eliminate or minimize imperfections on the surface of the teeth. Sandpaper-like strips are used to polish the sides of the teeth manually. The recontoured teeth are smoothed and polished.
Cosmetic Dental Recontouring is used to:
- To repair minor dental imperfections on the surface edges of the teeth
- Tooth reshaping or tooth sculpting
- Removing grooves in the enamel
Call Kelly Jorn Cook, DDS today to make your appointment!